- 4/6 people
- Prep. Time
- 20 min
- Fine sea salt
- 7 ounces thick-sliced flat pancetta or bacon
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut pancetta into ¼-inch batons. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, grated cheeses, 1/3 cup water, and generous pinch salt and pepper. In a medium nonstick skillet, combine pancetta and oil; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- About halfway through pancetta cooking time, cook pasta in the boiling water until al dente (ideally pancetta and pasta will be ready at about the same time). Reserving ¼ cup of the pasta cooking liquid, drain pasta and return to pot. Add pancetta and its rendered fat; toss to combine. Immediately add egg mixture and 2 tablespoons pasta cooking liquid; quickly stir to combine. Moisten with additional pasta cooking liquid, if desired. Serve immediately, passing cheese and pepper at the table.