- 4 people
- Prep. Time
- 15 min
- 2 pounds mussels, rinsed and de-bearded
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves, fresh if possible
- 1 pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Sliced Italian bread
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and let it lightly brown, then remove from the skillet. Add the sliced onions, bay leaves and dried pepper flakes to the skillet and saute until the onions begin to soften but still have a little bit of bite. About 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine and bring to a boil. Then add the mussels and tightly cover the skillet with a lid. Cook the mussels over high-heat until the mussels open. About 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and parsley over the mussels and toss over and over with a spoon. The breadcrumbs will melt into the liquid to form a slightly thickened sauce. Serve in warmed bowls with slices of crusty Italian bread.
- Perfectly paired with a Friuli white wine.